September 25, 2007

I get seasick... who knew?

This is the second to the last blog concerning our trip back in April to Los Angeles with the Bonnevaires for choir tour. One of the days we got to go out on a ship to whale watch. I had never actually been out in the ocean before, only played in the waves near the beach, so it was quite the experience. The first little while was great, we saw a whole bunch of seals chillin on some buoys. After we got further out, my stomach started to feel a little strange. Soon, I had to take deep breaths of salty air because I felt SICK! Mr. Dresen (the best choir director ever), told us we should bring along some Dramamine, but I figured it was just for the 'kids' -meaning those still in high school- and that I would not need it because I was 'tough.' Fortunately for me, I didn't end up with my lunch at my feet, unlike a few unfortunate souls on the ship who graced the ocean with their insides. Cameron did think it was quite hilarious that I do in fact get sea sick, and took it upon himself to get proof- he took pictures of me attempting to sleep away the sickness while on the inside of the ship. (That's me with the red first aid kit at my hip; the first aid kit that doesn't have any Dramamine in it.)


As I was drifting away, I heard excited shouts up on deck and decided to go check out what all the fuss was: Dolphins! Excellent! There were SOOOOO many! You know how on the little mermaid at the beginning of the show, it has all the dolphins jumping and swimming in front of Prince Eric's huge ship? All growing up I figured "yeah right, dolphins don't really swim like that so close to the ship and stay right with it for you to watch them." Boy was I mistaken! For hours, the dolphins stayed in front of, next to, and behind the ship, jumping and swimming and coming up for air. We got some good pictures, and a really good video that I didn't put on my blog (don't worry, I'll get a movie clip on here sometime. Just give me a while.

After the novelty of the dolphins wore off,
a lot of us stayed at the front of the small boat, it was cruisin! The wind felt really good against my face and washed away some of my seasickness. I got a good picture of us at the front of the ship by leaning clear out over the water (much to the worry of Cameron, who wouldn't let go of my waist for a single second.) The cute boy with the black skull sweater is my brother. I kinda chopped off his head in the picture... sorry Eli! Not long after this, my stomach started doing somersaults again, so I went back in the cabin to rest my head and close my eyes. My stomach continued this escapade so that even when I heard the oohs and aahhs of the passengers now observing the back of whales coming out of the water, I didn't have the slightest desire to join them on deck. I was only too glad when we headed back to shore. I do look back on the adventure with fondness, but I'm sure I will not be on a small ship in the ocean again anytime soon.

1 comments:

Bon said...

Sweeeeet Sis- It is fun to hear all about your trip- I am not sure you told me about it before- so it is good to hear now. Man do I miss ya- Love ya
Bon